How did social media effect the scene?

News on what is happening in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, & NFLD Metal Scene.
Dramen
Re: How did social media effect the scene?

Post by Dramen » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Joey von Doom wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 pm
Necromaster wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 pm
I don't go see some bands live because if they aren't that Character I seen/hear in their music I'll be let down and start to dislike them. lol

Pretty much likewise here. I’m very selective when it comes to new local metal bands. It’s pretty much people that I know or friends who’s shows I attend to.

Other than Dramen’s band Runa, or GHEIL (I think) pretty much the only fresh loud thing I’ve supported.
Thanks!

Social media compartmentalized life itself for many people. It took them and sectioned them into the groups they new developing social echo chambers for everything. I've especially noticed it with working with younger people that there is a serious lack of exposure to ideas that were critical in the creation of metal back in the day (fantasy, mystery, mysticism, empowerment without political institutions etc.) that are not present now.
Outside North America though I think it's very different. European and Asiatic nation states themselves influence the youth in most of the expressions of extreme metal (and it's clear especially in the extreme metal genres that contain any trace of a romantic and mythological archetypal theme) where as in America most of the metal (core, postcore, grindcore etc, is a mish mash of political/emotional/materialistic subject matter, or the fantasy revolves around a lot of pop culture themes (stoner culture, weed dude, wizards, dungeons and dragons or satanic triangles). In South America they also have a lot of romantic cultural themes in their metal and it really shows.

I think in the maritimes, social media really destroyed a lot of peoples thirst for those elements and surfaced them in ways where their downtime was spent in echo chambers of little to no expressive content.

Where as back in the day, in an unmoderated forum, really challenging content was created by people who just either wanted to hang out with people and experience new things together, or those like me who thirsted for wild and untameable things and wouldn't stop until the modern world was completely obliterated from my life.