How did social media effect the scene?

News on what is happening in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, & NFLD Metal Scene.
Necromaster
Site Admin
How did social media effect the scene?

Post by Necromaster » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:44 pm

What happened to the Metal Scene after facebook, twitter, instagram etc blew up? After this board closed?

Slaughtered Princess

Re: How did social media effect the scene?

Post by Slaughtered Princess » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:22 am

When the board was gone It was like walking out of a dark cave squinting at the sun and all going off into different directions. I knew I could scearch for anyone or any band on fb but I liked it better when it was all in one place, like we were all sitting at the same big dinner table. I'm not sure if social media helped the maritime metal scene.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:24 am

As a promoter, social media makes it way easier to reach a vast number of people for free. (I guess that would be a moot point if everybody would be here instead but...)

Gravaged

Post by Gravaged » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:20 am

I think I started reading the board in about 2003, when I was about 17 or so. As a kid from PEI, this board basically WAS the scene. There were a couple active metal bands in PEI at the time (Church, Gruesome Feast), but the board made it feel like there was something larger to participate in. Once I moved out of home and had the chance to start traveling to shows in Halifax and Moncton, I was always interested to see which "characters" from the board (since a lot of people kind of used their board names as IRL nicknames) would turn up.

Social media seemed to not only do away with the sense of community that the board inspired, but it also did away with the alter egos many of us had on the board ....and in connection with that, the sense that we were sort of like characters in a drama that played out online and then occasionally in person at shows.

That statement might sound ridiculous to people who were a bit older / who lived closer to the major centres, but that's how it felt for me back then, haha.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 pm

I agree that social media has totally de-mystified a lot of stuff. Killled a lot of the sense of wonder. Not just people but bands as well. No need to wait for that elusive band interview anymore when you can just look them up on social media and send them a PM or peer into their personal lives.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 pm

I just added the singer of Behemoth on IG and the guy is an avid yoga hipster. This is what Social Media does.

I agree that the board felt like the scene and when it went away I felt like I lost all connection to the scene. Even though I was in Montreal in the end I still was active and I was still making Posters for Maritime Promoters. I was released a Undergrowth Magazine around that time too. But that was basically the last metal project I ever worked on until now.

I don't go see some bands live because if they aren't that Character I seen/hear in their music I'll be let down and start to dislike them. lol

Facebook took all the anonymity out of the internet and with it a lot of the fun. Plus Facebook is getting old. Its full of people posting pictures of there kids. I tend to unfollow all my friends who have children.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Haha, yup fb is getting old. I rarely ever post any personal stuff on there. If I wasn't promoting shows, I wouldn't be on it.

As for band personnas, people should be genuine right? I guess stage personnas depends on what genra of metal you're in? Like Nergal doing yoga lol, I can see it, buddy went through cancer and nobody is getting any younger... but why post it on social media lol.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Some types of metal I dont care what the person looks like. You in a thrash band and ware jeans and tshirt on stage then fine. If your in a black metal band and your playing in a dress shirt and pants like you just got off work totally ruins the feeling of the music. So not every band needs to have a character or presonna but some music does.

But i couldnt find anything Metal enough to use for my profile picture on here. So my Necromaster presonna is basically gone over time. I dont really dress "metal" I dont know if I ever did besides my old patched up jean jacket.

Joey von Doom

Post by Joey von Doom » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Necromaster wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 pm
I don't go see some bands live because if they aren't that Character I seen/hear in their music I'll be let down and start to dislike them. lol

Pretty much likewise here. I’m very selective when it comes to new local metal bands. It’s pretty much people that I know or friends who’s shows I attend to.

Other than Dramen’s band Runa, or GHEIL (I think) pretty much the only fresh loud thing I’ve supported.

Darth Grimby

Post by Darth Grimby » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 pm

Necro sorry about my kid photos. Don’t unfriend me lol. I raised them on metal so at least there’s that.