How did social media effect the scene?

News on what is happening in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, & NFLD Metal Scene.
Darth Grimby
Re: How did social media effect the scene?

Post by Darth Grimby » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Funny thing about appearance, unlike most people I look way more metal now than I did back then. We should all do then and now photo comparisons! I saw a few of you posting some on Necro’s epic Facebook post last week.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Darth Grimby wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 pm
Necro sorry about my kid photos. Don’t unfriend me lol. I raised them on metal so at least there’s that.
Your kids arnt babies so i didnt unfallow you haha.

Chocolate Starmie

Post by Chocolate Starmie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 am

Social media caused the downfall of this kind of forum in general. Message boards nowadays seem to be an old school way of internetting

DementraFitz

Post by DementraFitz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Well it pretty much killed it for me. I have no idea when shows are, everyone fights over their political views. Social media has nothing good to offer

ZVAZ

Post by ZVAZ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 am

Next lets go way back and analyze when message boards rose above chatrooms

babycakes

Post by babycakes » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:04 pm

I think that the Facebook era has had some positive effects. It makes communication a lot quicker when you're a promoter, and it's easier to get the word out about shows. The downside is the quality of communication and the apparent shorter attention span of most Facebook users. And not only has transparency demystified the scene, it's also made it mundane and uninteresting. There's just something wrong about scrolling past an ad for a metal show and then seeing someone's lunch.

There's also the political aspect. If you're in a band you've usually got to censor yourself on social media if you want any success. We've all seen people kicked out of bands and bands lose bookings because of social media activity. That sort of thing was a lot less common during the message board era.

You can really get a sense of the heart of a community through the message board medium. Ideas and opinions are teased out in a way that the transitive, linear nature of Facebook doesn't allow. A discussion on the Heavy Metal Halifax facebook group can get buried, and you'll never find it again unless you know it's there. Threads are be revisited and reignited organically. I was only using the original message board for a year or so before it was discontinued, but I still recall so many classic threads. Anyone remember the "fish-metal" post? Hellacod, Thy Fish Consumed? Classic stuff.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:34 pm

I've only been using facebook to find and communicate with bands for the last week and I agree it much faster to communicate but I find it really hard to find what i'm actually looking for. I stumble upon stuff more often then finding something I going to look for. Mainly because its so vast. A lot of old metalheads are coming out of the woodwork on the Maritime Metal Doc page which is great. That couldn't happen with a message board.

I try to follow some of the local pages for, halifax, moncton, saint john, and frederiction. along with some other Maritime Metal ones. But most of what i see posted is not music by local bands. But metalheads posting music they like from bands who are famous. Which is great and all but i'm not looking for that.

Also facebook is fucking distracting/addictive. Likely because of how face pace it is. I can spend hours and hours on it without realizing what time it is. Which has distracted me for working on other things.

I did buy some add promotion for the Teaser and it reached about 7k people. about 200 or so linked the link and I got a lot of views on the video. So it worked well for promotion for me. You can target city's and people who have interest in Metal. But this cost money and not everyone has that when promoting shows. I sure as fuck didnt back when I did it. I would print flyers at staples and lie about how many I printed so i could afford it at the cash.

ZVAZ

Post by ZVAZ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 pm

babycakes wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:04 pm
I think that the Facebook era has had some positive effects. It makes communication a lot quicker when you're a promoter, and it's easier to get the word out about shows. The downside is the quality of communication and the apparent shorter attention span of most Facebook users. And not only has transparency demystified the scene, it's also made it mundane and uninteresting. There's just something wrong about scrolling past an ad for a metal show and then seeing someone's lunch.

There's also the political aspect. If you're in a band you've usually got to censor yourself on social media if you want any success. We've all seen people kicked out of bands and bands lose bookings because of social media activity. That sort of thing was a lot less common during the message board era.

You can really get a sense of the heart of a community through the message board medium. Ideas and opinions are teased out in a way that the transitive, linear nature of Facebook doesn't allow. A discussion on the Heavy Metal Halifax facebook group can get buried, and you'll never find it again unless you know it's there. Threads are be revisited and reignited organically. I was only using the original message board for a year or so before it was discontinued, but I still recall so many classic threads. Anyone remember the "fish-metal" post? Hellacod, Thy Fish Consumed? Classic stuff.
Facebook was awesome in the beginning that's why i used to use it, but as soon as ads got added en masse people got really desensitized to the amount of information and events that were coming that them, and then the platform got super monetized and to get beyond your friends you needed to payout. So old facebook was super helpful, what it evolved to... nahhhh.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 am

Necromaster wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:34 pm

I did buy some add promotion for the Teaser and it reached about 7k people. about 200 or so linked the link and I got a lot of views on the video. So it worked well for promotion for me. You can target city's and people who have interest in Metal. But this cost money and not everyone has that when promoting shows. I sure as fuck didnt back when I did it. I would print flyers at staples and lie about how many I printed so i could afford it at the cash.
I've only bought FB adds promotion once... and I doubt it helped much for the show. If you share the event in all the FB maritime metal groups (there's like 10) and the respective local bands page playing (plus their individuals) I find it works pretty good. It'll get the word out and if it's a show people actually want to see they'll share and talk about it. I still print posters for shows tho, but not 50. More like 15 and I put them at key spots around town.

I would say that Moncton is a strong disjointed metal scene. We've seen some very cool bands coming through here in the last 4-5 years alone. (Vital Remains, Cryptopsy, Benighted, Kalmah, Arkona, Psycroptic, etc) There's definitely support out for shows, but some are weak attendance and that may depend on several factors.. (Unknown headliner, opening bands that don't draw much or overplaying, close to the holidays people don't have much disposable income, etc)

And there's no more after parties too (well, not that I know of) Back in the day after shows I would usually host after parties at my place and lots of people from the scene (different styles of music) would come over and have a good time. As I grew older and became a house owner I put a damper on that. But I don't hear about these cool parties from the kids either... the fact is, the scene is getting older with very few kids picking it up. This could become problematic.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am

How did you target the paid ad? I set it up so it only targets men between 25 and 45 who have metal, black metal, death metal, heavy metal listed as there interest. Also restricted it to just Moncton, Freddy, Saint John, Charlottetown, and Halifax.

I did the ad for mobile only. When i seen the stats that 1% of active clicks were from women i cut them out. It was wasting money promoting to them. Sorry ladys but its true. I also cut out 13 to 24 year olds because almost no one in that age range clicked on the ad. And I cut out desktop users because 95% of activity was coming from mobile. Most active times were 6am to 8am and 6pm to 8pm. So before and after work. I didnt restrict the ad to those times but i should have so its not appearing while no one is online.

So ya thats facebook ads. Its like a whole job just managing it. Which i guess thats why people get hired for social media management for compines.