How did social media effect the scene?

News on what is happening in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, & NFLD Metal Scene.
Jackal
Re: How did social media effect the scene?

Post by Jackal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am

Necromaster wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am
How did you target the paid ad? I set it up so it only targets men between 25 and 45 who have metal, black metal, death metal, heavy metal listed as there interest. Also restricted it to just Moncton, Freddy, Saint John, Charlottetown, and Halifax.

I did the ad for mobile only. When i seen the stats that 1% of active clicks were from women i cut them out. It was wasting money promoting to them. Sorry ladys but its true. I also cut out 13 to 24 year olds because almost no one in that age range clicked on the ad. And I cut out desktop users because 95% of activity was coming from mobile. Most active times were 6am to 8am and 6pm to 8pm. So before and after work. I didnt restrict the ad to those times but i should have so its not appearing while no one is online.

So ya thats facebook ads. Its like a whole job just managing it. Which i guess thats why people get hired for social media management for compines.
Interesting. I only activated it the week before the show and I pretty much started out with the same targets as you, but I didn't micro managed it... I think it only cost me $15-20. But despite using FB as main source for promo and putting some posters around town, I never hear complaints about people missing out on shows because they weren't aware.

Shameless plug, follow Black Chord on FB: https://www.facebook.com/BlackChordProductions/
Last edited by Jackal on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slaughtered Princess

Post by Slaughtered Princess » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 am

The scene is getting older and the kids are so busy with social media no one wants to put out the effort we did with printing and putting up posters and promoting and putting together shows, everyone's lazy now.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:51 am

Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am
Necromaster wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am
How did you target the paid ad? I set it up so it only targets men between 25 and 45 who have metal, black metal, death metal, heavy metal listed as there interest. Also restricted it to just Moncton, Freddy, Saint John, Charlottetown, and Halifax.

I did the ad for mobile only. When i seen the stats that 1% of active clicks were from women i cut them out. It was wasting money promoting to them. Sorry ladys but its true. I also cut out 13 to 24 year olds because almost no one in that age range clicked on the ad. And I cut out desktop users because 95% of activity was coming from mobile. Most active times were 6am to 8am and 6pm to 8pm. So before and after work. I didnt restrict the ad to those times but i should have so its not appearing while no one is online.

So ya thats facebook ads. Its like a whole job just managing it. Which i guess thats why people get hired for social media management for compines.
Interesting. I only activated it the week before the show and I pretty much started out with the targets as you, but I didn't micro managed it... I think it only cost me $15-20. But despite using FB as main source for promo and putting some posters around town, I never hear complaints about people missing out on shows because they weren't aware.

Shameless plug, follow Black Chord on FB: https://www.facebook.com/BlackChordProductions/
Postering was a huge thing to pull in people before social media. In Halifax I would put up 100 to 200 posters around the city for each show I did. Plus flyers to hand out at shows. Here in Montreal you see a lot of flyers still and some posters but they are normally for bigger shows. And not many for metal any more. The only time I see shows on facebook im interest in is if a friend has click on one saying they are going. Otherwise i have to look up the band/show myself.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 am

Slaughtered Princess wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 am
The scene is getting older and the kids are so busy with social media no one wants to put out the effort we did with printing and putting up posters and promoting and putting together shows, everyone's lazy now.
Im not sure if lazy is the right word. Short attention span and expectation that things should be fast and easy. We are a culture of short and fast entertainment. Youtube, Vine, Instagram. All these are so easy to consume in short burst.

Gordgoroth

Post by Gordgoroth » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:25 pm

I think it’s a change of focus. We didn’t have social media as our medium, so it was the message board and flyers pasted on telephone poles and store walls.

If it had been around mid nineties I think it would have been then as it is now. But since most of us here were around for the change, we see the difference the younger crowd does not. We feel the disconnect they can’t.

Feels like we all got separated in a giant crowd. I know you guys are somewhere out there, just don’t know where you are.

The message board was the designated meeting spot.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 am

The facebook page has hit over 400 followers. Nearly 100 just yesterday alone. Not sure why or how it exploded in one day. I suspect its from people sharing the page all on the same day. To band people are not joining this board in those numbers.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm

Necromaster wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 am
The facebook page has hit over 400 followers. Nearly 100 just yesterday alone. Not sure why or how it exploded in one day. I suspect its from people sharing the page all on the same day. To band people are not joining this board in those numbers.
Or somebody invited a bunch of their friends on there. You can do that to pages even if you're not admin/editor.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Jackal wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm
Necromaster wrote:
Or somebody invited a bunch of their friends on there. You can do that to pages even if you're not admin/editor.
Damn everyone should do that. lol

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:03 am

Necromaster wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 pm
Jackal wrote:
Necromaster wrote:
Just sent 1334 invites. Took me 20 seconds.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:15 am

Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:03 am
Necromaster wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 pm
Jackal wrote:

Just sent 1334 invites. Took me 20 seconds.
Nice I knew someone did just gained over 100 new followers.

Edit: nearly 200 new followers. getting close to 600 people now.