What’s everybody listening to lately?

A Forum for Metal Discussion
EllieLace
Re: What’s everybody listening to lately?

Post by EllieLace » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir (even though their new album is very strange), Septic Flesh, Gojira, BLS, Tardive Dyskinesia, Asira, Kreator, Jinjer, old Opeth...basically everything. Hoping this place will broaden my horizons, it's been a few months since a band has really snagged me.

PullingOutTheNails

Post by PullingOutTheNails » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
God Dethroned - World Ablaze
High Spirits - Various

Chocolate Starmie

Post by Chocolate Starmie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am

I've been listening to/watching Steel Panther's Hellfest and Wacken performances

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:59 am

Chocolate Starmie wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am
I've been listening to/watching Steel Panther's Hellfest and Wacken performances
Saw them at Hellfest last year (2017) - was great.

Also, still The Night Flight Orchestra if they are even really metal.

Darth Grimby

Post by Darth Grimby » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Heavy M wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:11 pm
Necrophobic - Mark Of The Necrogram
Hell yes that album is amazing.

I still explore and enjoy a lot of new metal albums, across a wide range of genres.

Here is a random sampling of ten of the best albums I've heard in the last few years that I think some of you have never heard before:

Vektor - Terminal Redux (thrash metal, sci-fi or die!; USA. Standout track: Pillars of Sand. But really listen to the whole fucking thing it's a masterpiece)
All Hell - The Grave Alchemist (Castlevania meets black/thrash; USA. Standout track: The Castle)
Lunar Shadow - Far From Light (trad metal with some blackened moments; Germany. Standout track: They That Walk The Night)
Cloak - To Venomous Depths (blackened heavy metal; USA. Standout track: Beyond the Veil)
Eruption - Cloaks of Oblivion (smart thrash, reminiscent of Sanctuary/Nevermore; Slovenia. Standout track: Drones)
Mistur - In Memoriam (black metal, sounds like Windir; Norway. Standout track: The Sight)
Nordjevel - Nordjevel (kickass black metal; Norway. Standout track: The Funeral Smell)
Goatess - II: Purgatory Under New Management (Stoner/Doom, basically sounds like Black Sabbath; Sweden. Standout track: Silent War)
Can Bardd - Nature Stays Silence (ambient black metal; France - great to play while reading fantasy. Standout track: Océan)
Unleash The Archers - Apex (melodic death/power metal; Canada - sound like 3 Inches of Blood but with a kickass female singer. Standout track: The Matriarch)

If this is worthwhile for anyone, I could post so many more.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Vektor is awesome. I just bought all 3 of their albums on vinyl when I was in Stockholm back in June.

Dunlop

Post by Dunlop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:22 pm

I've got into hip hop a lot over the years. Basically the only metal I still keep up with is Doom and Grindcore and a little Black Metal. I find a lot of albums I used to love have just simply been overplayed after so many years. Also, lately metal albums all have the same production, tones and artwork. I had to start searching elsewhere for entertainment

Danny Brown
Maxo Kream
Sauce Walka
Freddie Gibbs

Chepang
Electric Wizard
Sex Prisoner
Dopethrone (friends from Mtl. If you don't know do yourself a favor and youtube that shit)

Dramen

Post by Dramen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Skull Fist - Everything this band has put out is perfect.
Finsterforst - Finsterforst
Lots of the new rootsy European Folk music like Wardruna, Heilung, etc.

Slaughtered Princess

Post by Slaughtered Princess » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:11 am

Dunlop wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Dopethrone (friends from Mtl. If you don't know do yourself a favor and youtube that shit)
I did just that, I youtubed that shit :)

Dunlop

Post by Dunlop » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:41 pm

what did you think?

There is not too many quality doom bands in Canada. They are definitely carrying the flag it seems. I'm pretty happy about watching those dudes get some cred the last few years. they deserve it

I sorta wrote the lyrics to this song, Storm Reefer. Basically, I wrote some words and knew I would never use them for anything so I sent them to Vince (singer) and a couple weeks later he tweaked them to fit Storm Reefer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT2YNHu7nrk

You know how a lot of doom bands are from the desert? Well this is a Canadian response to the South, i guess.

Not sure how it goes exactly now but the originally it was:

Burn Through The Cold

Cold lungs - inhale
Short breathe - release
Blistered thumb - ignite
Burn to ash - repeat

A Circle against strong winds
Elevation carried in smoke
Glowing ember, flavored odor
Barren sky echoes choke

No one wishes to linger
No one leaves until it's gone