Database for active venues around the Maritimes

News on what is happening in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, & NFLD Metal Scene.
Joey von Doom
Re: Database for active venues around the Maritimes

Post by Joey von Doom » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Yeah I meant the new location for the Seahorse/Marquee on Gottingen.

Joey von Doom

Post by Joey von Doom » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 pm

At one point the Timberlounge played shows too until some asshole neighbour complained about the noise. Kind of funny how Gus’ is like a block away haha

Slaughtered Princess

Post by Slaughtered Princess » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 am

In Miramichi bands play at O'donahues pub, mikes bar, the well, the boulevard , even Doolys allows bands, however most of these places are small but still, it's something

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 am

Slaughtered Princess wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 am
In Miramichi bands play at O'donahues pub, mikes bar, the well, the boulevard , even Doolys allows bands, however most of these places are small but still, it's something
They will allow metal bands to play there?

Slaughtered Princess

Post by Slaughtered Princess » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 am
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 am
They will allow metal bands to play there?

Well, I'm not 100% sure because i don't know if any have even tried. But I will look into it

Joey von Doom

Post by Joey von Doom » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:37 pm

They had a metal show at Dooleys a forever ago but idiots happened. Rebecca’s Grave player I think? Then a few years ago Head is Dead and Lionsault played as well.

Slaughtered Princess

Post by Slaughtered Princess » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Joey von Doom wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:37 pm
They had a metal show at Dooleys a forever ago but idiots happened. Rebecca’s Grave player I think? Then a few years ago Head is Dead and Lionsault played as well.
Yeah they said, oh yes we have metal play here then listed some bands and I was like umm those are rock and hard rock, I said would you allow heavier and they were like maybe depends how heavy ; lol

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:47 pm
Joey von Doom wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:37 pm
Yeah they said, oh yes we have metal play here then listed some bands and I was like umm those are rock and hard rock, I said would you allow heavier and they were like maybe depends how heavy ; lol
That's the thing, there's a pub in Tracadie that plays hard rock acts and we played there last year with Dischord and we tried to go back this year and the owner refused on the grounds that we're too heavy lol. Not every place will accept extreme metal but, it's always worth a shot to try. When we played there we had a good time and so did the audience... it is what it is.

Necromaster
Site Admin

Post by Necromaster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:53 pm

It sucks when bar owners are scared to host metal bands even though they might pull in a crowd on a dead night. Most metalheads wont break sit and will drink a lot. There likely wont be any fights either.

I remember doing my first show at The Right Spot back in the early 2000s and they werent really expecting what happened. We pulled in like 100 people and almost everyone was drinking. There was no trouble besides the cops being called when the first band played due to a noise complaint. They showed up seen we are playing a show at a bar and left.

The worse thing that happened was the girl hired to work the door stole money from me, The owner fired her. Didn't get the money back though.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Necromaster wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:53 pm
It sucks when bar owners are scared to host metal bands even though they might pull in a crowd on a dead night. Most metalheads wont break sit and will drink a lot. There likely wont be any fights either.

I remember doing my first show at The Right Spot back in the early 2000s and they werent really expecting what happened. We pulled in like 100 people and almost everyone was drinking. There was no trouble besides the cops being called when the first band played due to a noise complaint. They showed up seen we are playing a show at a bar and left.

The worse thing that happened was the girl hired to work the door stole money from me, The owner fired her. Didn't get the money back though.
In my experience and from what I've heard from bar managers and bouncers there's more fights happening on pop music dance nights. It's super rare I've seen fights at shows in my 200-300 show attendance over the years... if there's an ambulance called it's a mishap in the mosh pit or a broken beer bottle on the floor... but it's always up to owners of venues to do what they want.. small towns are small. From what I can understand Miramichi and Tracadie will allow metal bands with clean singing at least lol.

Shitty about the door girl stealing your cash tho!